ECDuck - The Build Continues 3By Scott Widmier #104 "Half and Half" (2es 1eo 7ea 2ad 23ar)
Got a lot of work done but not quite where I wanted to be. I installed four 8" deck plates into the side of the airbox for access. One pair is back by the cockpit and the other is where the hatch will be for accessibility. They are more for inspection and access than for storage though I might put a few things in. I did put a divider halfway down each air box so things placed in the aft stay in the aft portion of the air boxes and vice versa. I could use these for water storage and shift the water to trim the boat.
I cleaned up the insides and put two coats of white latex outdoor paint on. I know the epoxy hasn't had enough time to cure but I decided to risk it while I had the decks off. There is a lot of surface area inside this boat! Next, I glued and screwed the deck in place using PLPremium glue. I actually prefer using this stuff when using stringer construction as I like the consistency and it holds really well.
I then flipped the boat (hard by myself) and was frankly amazed at the weight. Much heavier than the two ducks I built in the past out of luan but those were for racing and this one is for distance. Not as heavy, though, as some of the ducks I helped carry in the past. It is completely solid with plenty of support under the deck and the second thickness of ply in the sole. Could I have forgone some of this extra reinforcement? Probably but there is a piece of mind having a boat that can bash into waves with no worries.
I trimmed off the excess plywood at the bow and went to work rounding the chines with the belt sander. I then sanded the plywood somewhat smooth, filled the holes, and glass the bottom of the boat with a layer of glass and two layers of epoxy with the final one being thickened. I toyed with putting dynel cloth on for abrasion resistance but I didn't have enough cloth and, frankly, it is a pain to put on and adds a lot of weight given the amount of epoxy you have to wet it out with.
I do plan on reinforcing the chines with some fiberglass tape. Then I will flip the boat, round the edges, and apply the cloth to the decks and sides. Then I have two weeks to mess with other things while the epoxy fully cures before painting. I plan on fabricating the raised hatch (cabin ) and figuring out the slides. I also will shape the leeboards and figure out the rudder assembly. I really want to build the drive but figure I should get the boat done and on the water before messing with that. Hopefully, I will launch the boat the first of December.